Monday, February 20, 2012

Sol Food Puerto Rican Cuisine

Kitty and Ducky
Sol Food Puerto Rican Restaurant
901 Lincoln Ave
San Rafael, CA 94901

(415)451-4765

A little gem is tucked away in San Rafael which is over by the Marin County area. Just off the freeway exit is Sol Food which caters in Puerto Rican cuisine. I am no expert on Puerto Rican food but I do know that this place is worth coming back time and time again.

Festive Decor: Guitars on shelves, plants and trees, lights, colorful painted walls, and groovy music included


Bistec Encebollado
(Sauteed pieces of thin steak along with onions)
[$11.95]


I wanted to try something else instead of the chicken.  The steak was quite good, but doesn't quite compare to their Pollo.  It came with plantains, beans and rice, salad, and some onions on top.  The beans and rice tasted like seasoned refried beans over rice and the onions were nicely caramelized golden brown.  I got the mixed plantains which included one fried yellow plantains and one maduro sweet plantain.  I'm not a fan of the fried yellow plantain.  It tastes like fried potatoes or other fried starches and not too special.  I will order maduros only next time I am here.  The maduros are sweet and caramelized banana-like fruits that are quite delicious. 
-Ducky [4/5]

Pollo Al Horno
(Marinated garlic and oregano baked chicken)
[$12.25/2pcs]

This is their signature dish and a must order for first timers here. Not only does it come with succulent, tasty chicken tenders but there's rice, beans, a salad with an amazing lime vinaigrette, and plantains. I chose the sweet plantains (maduros) because I am a sucker for caramelized fruits from the banana family. It may only be 2 pieces but between everything on the platter my stomach was bursting. -Kitty [5/5]

Bottle of Pique

I wanted to take a moment to mention this Bottle of Pique. This is a very light and tangy hot sauce that sits at your table side. I drizzle this all over my food because it just adds an extra layer of awesome. For people who are not too into spiciness fear not...a few drops are enough to enhance your entree's flavor but not set your mouth on fire. -Kitty

Honorable Mention: Limonada Fresca -$3.75 Fresh limeade and it comes in a jar! Carbonated excellency [5/5]


Overall Score: [4.5/5]  Definitely will come back!!






1 comment:

  1. This place is amazing and as advertised above. I am some what familiar with Puerto Rican food, mostly that often it can be (very) sweet (food often sweetened with either fruit concentrates, cane sugar extract, or plain white sugar). The portions are large, the food was tasty, and the decor was plain ol' fun and casual. Some of the dishes we had were slightly sweetened, but not overly so. Worthwhile stop off Hwy 101.

    ReplyDelete