Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Firehouse Restaurant

Kitty and Ducky
The Firehouse Restaurant
1112 2nd Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

(916)442-4772

Sacramento was doing their on Dine About Town week in January and we made the trip up to meet with friends and try the Firehouse Restaurant.  It's nestled in Old Sacramento which is a Midwest theme area filled with restaurants, candy and food shops, and novelty stores. The Firehouse Restaurant is quite the romantic getaway, and for wine lovers they are known for their extensive collection.

Flower Shaped Butter

Chef's Taster Sampler: Pastry with Caramelized Shallot

This was a taster sampler that was before the soup.  It was a savory caramelized shallot sandwiched between two buttery biscuit pastries.  It was definitely a nice touch for the dinner.  As it was just a sampler, I wouldn't really rate it.  It seems to be the norm for the kitchen to provide a sampler before the appetizer.  -Ducky



Dungeness Crab, Potato and Leek Bisque with Thyme and Parmesan Crisps

This was served fresh from the pot literally.  The plate came with only the centerpiece and the waiter came around our shoulders and promptly poured this liquid gold. The crab bisque is not as heavy as a lobster bisque and a little bit sweeter. I wanted to note that the Parmesan crisps were divine. -Kitty [4.5/5]


Palate Cleanser: Cucumber and Melon Sorbet

The melon flavor had a strong presence but I was really impressed that they were able to draw out the cucumber taste and fragrance. It was a refreshing cleanser and different from the usual citrus types that are frequently served. -Kitty [3.5/5] 

Plum Wine Glazed Salmon with Red Rice and Asian Pear Salad

This dish was good but did not amaze me particularly. The salmon was soft with an excellent crust. The sauce strongly resembled the taste and consistency of Thai curry which was something I did not expect. Overall a decent dish but it lacked anything that I could particularly note about. -Kitty [3.5/5]

Manzanilla Chicken with Pepper-Spanish Olive Tapenade with White Bean Chorizo and Sweet Potato Ragout

The chicken was just ehh...  It was not that special.  It just tasted like a savory chicken with some savory sauce and vegetables.  Nothing that memorable.  To be honest, as I am writing this, I don't quite remember what I even ordered for my entree.  Will not get again.  -Ducky [2/5]

Mango Cheesecake with Minted-Mango Salsa

The main component of the filling was classic cheesecake.  What made it mango was that the fruit was marbled into the dessert. It was a good cheesecake but heavier than I would have liked. Then again I am biased towards light fluffy cheesecakes rather than heavy cheesy ones. -Kitty [3/5]

Rich Chocolate Cake, Belgian Chocolate Mousse, and Dark Chocolate Ganache

The chocolate cake was a bit too rich for my taste.  I dreaded each bite, but I got through the whole thing and a part of someone else's.  It is not something I would get again.  If you like rich dark chocolate fudge, you would like this.  I don't like fudge, so I did not really like this and my score will reflect this.  -Ducky [1/5]


Overall Score: [3.5/5] A very romantic date spot! Just didn't match with our taste

No comments:

Post a Comment