Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nam Vang Restaurant

Kitty Solo
Nam Vang Restaurant
2477 Alvin Avenue
San Jose, CA 95121

(408)270-8939

I am an avid fan of Vietnamese cuisine and that includes its most known component: pho. Growing up in San Jose I am lucky to have a number of great pho sources. As far as where the "best" pho is in the bay area, I can not honestly say. I judge it just like how I judge my ramen and my cupcakes....it just depends on your preference! Do you like your noodles more chewy? Do you prefer your broth having a super clean taste or a very wholesome taste?

But I digress...this restaurant is one of my favorite go to spots, primarily for its Cambodian hu tieu nam vang. Originally in Cambodia is called kuy teav, but it was also popularized in Vietnam, leading to blurred boundaries that gave birth to this awesome baby below:

Hu Tieu Nam Vang (dry)
[~$8]

There is both "dry" and "wet" versions. Wet is like your normal noodle soup while dry..like its name does not have its noodles basking in soup. Instead the soup comes as a side. I really enjoy hu tieu in general because of its pork based broth as well as its rich and diverse condiments: pork slices, ground pork bits, seafood, caramelized onions. This place is a great hole in the wall that has not changed ever since my childhood. Their noodles are at the level of chewiness that I desire, and even though it wasn't bathing in soup, it was still soaked in flavor. [5/5]

Accompanying Pork Bone Soup

Here comes a very hearty soup where the pork just falls off the bone. But wait! There's more. Take the time to suck off the bone marrow that's hiding in your bone. That buttery savoriness can not be wasted (especially when there are "classy" restaurants out there that like to charge an arm and a leg for it).

Meatball
[~$3]

This place is also known for their meatball. It's probably half the size of an average twenty-something year old Asian female's fist. There is no unique or notable taste, but I really liked that they mixed bits of water chestnuts in there for contrast in texture. [3.5/5]

I may be a bit biased, but this place is truly great for some Southeast Asian noodle soup. Plus, their prices are pretty decent compared to what I see these days. An actual good bowl of pho can easily cost more than $10 these days. And if it's still here after all these years and guaranteed packed on weekends...they must be doing something right.

Overall Score: [5/5] It's not Vietnam...but it's a comfort spot (but without the traveler's diarrhea). And it's a hole in a wall so don't expect anything classy.


1 comment: