Sunday, August 9, 2015

Kitty Solo in Japan 2015 Day 13 and 14

Asparagus Bacon Bread, Black Honey Muffin, Wheat Bread with Cheese, and Picked Vegetable Rice Ball
All I can say is....CARBS CARBS CARBS.

School Lunch
Kitsune udon, tonjiru soup, vegetables and milk (gotta stay lactose tolerant). This lunch was not even $8 USD.

Traditional Kyoto Dinner
It was a busy day that day, but still managed to go to Osaka again. This time the Daimaru 14th Floor was visited. My companions and I were feeling for a healthy dinner, so we opted for this restaurant. Unfortunately I do not recall the name but these types of restaurants are fairly common. For about $23 USD this set meal includes a variety of pickled vegetables, miso soup (unlimited refills), tororo, two types of grilled fish (I chose a mackeral and cod), rice (unlimited refills), tea (you can also put this in your rice to make it an ochazuke), and warabi mochi for dessert. It was a well crafted and delicious dinner. The portions may look small but after finishing everything in the set I definitely was not hungry at all. I really recommend trying these types of restaurants if possible to get a taste of Kyoto.

Afterwards I went on my own in search of dessert. The other day while passing by the Lucua department store at Osaka Station I noticed Max Brenner Chocolate Bar. It seemed very popular with a line running out of it. I was only able to nab a chocolate drink to go. I thoroughly enjoyed it since it was not overly sweet yet not overly thick like most drinking chocolate, so I had to return, and return I did to try their other things.

Store Front
Mixing Chocolate
Mint Chip Chocktail
Worth It
It was difficult to choose what I wanted to try. There were crepes, chocolate pizzas (topped with marshmallows), chocolate syringes, but my eyes fell upon chocktails...chocolate cocktails I suppose. There are no alcohol in any of their chocktails though. What their chocktails do offer is a variety of chocolate blends. I decided on a seasonal flavor that wasn't available on the main menu: the Mint Chocolate Chip Chocktail. It was a blend of drinking chocolate, ice, chocolate ice cream, mint chocolate ice cream that sits on the surface which is topped by a chocolate shell that hardens shortly after being poured onto the ice cream. Max Brenner has branches in the East Coast but if you're not traveling there anytime soon and happen to be in Japan......GO HERE!

Of course while at the Daimaru department store's basement....I came across a MON CHER PATISSERIE BRANCH! So I bought half of a mango dojima roll cake. The attendant asked me how many forks I needed. I sheepishly lied to her saying I needed two.........

More Mon Cher

Mango Roll Cake
This was even better than the fruits roll (perhaps because right now is the season of mangos?) and now you can see what an un-ruined dojima roll cake look like.

I also bought another strawberry daifuku on my way home. I think I'm on a side journey to find the perfect strawberry daifuku.

Strawberry Daifuku

The Inside of Strawberry Daifuku
This one had whipped cream instead of the traditional red bean filling. As much as I like whipped cream, I was not a fan of this combination. The stall at Nishiki Market still reigns supreme.

Lunch Buffet
The following day was another field trip day. We ate at a buffet by Kyoto Station. It was all right...it had a variety of fanfare such as tempura, salads, stir fries, egg rolls, tofus.

Kyoto Aquarium's Sea Salt Vanilla Monaka
Next part of the field trip was the Kyoto Aquarium. I noticed this little guy hanging around at one of the kiosks. Isn't he so cute?

Penguin Shaped!
It was a monaka! Monaka is like an ice cream sandwich....but rather than cookies surrounding it, it's a thin wafer that completely surrounds the ice cream.

Penguin no More
I barely tasted the sea salt, but I always vote yes for ice cream...especially in the hot summers of Japan.

Matcha and Agar Jelly Noodles with Light Black Honey Syrup
Next part of the field trip was the ever famous Kiyomizu-dera! And like many temples whether you visit this one or the Golden Pavilion, be sure to stop by the little tea shops and try authentic matcha while enjoying the view or even some cold refreshing dessert too.

Afterwards the class dispersed and I headed down back towards Gion in order to meet with an old friend of mine. There was a parfait place I wanted to check out that seemed to have its name pop up more than a few times: Gion Kinana. They're known for their incorporation of soybean flour in their ice creams. To be honest this place is quite hard to find if you don't have internet. It lies in the heart of Gion but in a maze of high end restaurants as well. I highly recommend using either the internet or pre-printing google map directions from the station ahead of time.

Gion Kinana

Kinana Pon Parfait
This parfait came with warabi mochi, red bean, mochi, two ice creams (I got sesame and green tea that day), a biscuit and topped with a chestnut. Hojicha also comes served with the parfait. It was a good parfait with a crisp clean taste. Ice cream was slightly on the icier side. Overall I think if you have time to explore I recommend this place. Otherwise if you're in a jam packed schedule I would recommend Tsujiri or Nakamura Tokichi since they have much easier access.

Afterwards my friend and I walked down Gion and he pointed out that there was a good tart shop. When I saw where he pointed it looked like a shop that was filled with tourist trap products. However looking closely I noticed there was a hallway that had a dimly lit entrance at the end.

Cafe Comme Ca
Indeed it was a hidden gem in there. You walk up a set of sleek modern stairs to find yourself in a very wide open cafe. If you turn right and walk further down past the cash register and around the corner you'll see the display case of absolutely gorgeous and glistening tarts with an array of fruits on top.

Orihime Tart
I chose the Orihime Tart (in celebration of Tanabata) which featured lychee and figs. Like many Japanese dessert places it was not overly sweet, the custard wasn't overbearing, and tasting fruit in a country where it's such a luxury item....well at this point of the trip I did sorely miss fruit. This is a good resting spot for anyone tired from the heat. Their tarts are refreshing.

Afterwards....we decided to eat DINNER....and what better way to graze than go to an izakaya? The one my friend recommended to me was actually located literally next to my apartment. If only I was inclined to drink, it would have been so convenient. Otherwise the izakaya is known as: Shirokiya (aka White Tree Shop). It turned out to be a decent and fairly common branch of izakaya.

Tablet Menu
What better way to order than a touch screen menu that sends your order directly to the kitchen without the hassle of social interaction with your waiter. No really I'm serious. This is brilliant. 

Grilled Pickled Mackeral
Green Onion Pancake
Variety of Yakitori
Gyoza
Yellowtail Tataki
Overall it was a fine establishment to snack and be merry with beer. Izakayas are fairly accessible these days. Menus are either in this nice tablet with pictures...or giant menus with pictures....or if you're in a town like Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka many places will offer English menus as well. Just point and go. Don't be afraid to encounter something different! For all you know you might find something you like......for me it was definitely the grilled pickled mackerel. The slight acidity with the grilled taste of fish.....works!

No comments:

Post a Comment