Monday, January 16, 2012

Dan Japanese Izakaya Restaurant

Kitty Solo
Dan Izakaya Restaurant
1306 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129

(408)249-6020

Izakayas are places in Japan where alcohol is served with a variety of tapa like portioned foods. They are places to make merry or socialize with your co-workers after a long hard day of work. I may not drink but I certainly love the tapa styled foods. This place is located in a plaza with DD's
Discount, a little tucked away on the side. My friend and I were ravenously hungry so we ordered a number of items:

Beef and Potato Croquette
[$6.5]


Light crispy outside, hot and fluffy potatoes on the inside with tasty meaty bits.  One of the best croquettes I've had in a while.  It comes with tonkatsu sauce which is basically similar to worcestershire sauce, slightly savory but prominently tangy flavor.  Do not fear, just dip that croquette in it, take a bite (caution it's piping hot when they serve it to you freshly deep fried), and let the party in your mouth begin. [5/5]

Pork and Kimchi Hot Pot
[$8.75]


It bears resemblance to jjigae, Korean stew, but what can I say?  They put kimchi in it so of course it would.  It was still good though.  The pork was relatively soft and retained its flavor and the soup itself was clear and light.  Overall it did not give a lasting impression: average goodness. [3/5]


Stir Fried Scallops with Asparagus and Bacon
[$7.5]


Sweetness of the scallops, saltiness of the bacon, and the asparagus together made a decent stir fry.  No more no less. [3/5]


Yakionigiri (Grilled Rice Balls) 1 Salmon and 1 Konbu (Seaweed)
[$2.25 each]


Whenever I usually see grilled rice balls on menus I almost feel like it'd be a cheat to order these.  I mean, they're just balls of rice grilled right?  But I caved into my curiosity and gave it a fair try.  I will never dis the grilled rice ball again, or at least the ones from Dan anyway.  The rice was seasoned with soy sauce and the grilled outer layered gave each bite crispy.  As you taste the rice in the inner layer it was not the usual white rice flavor, nor was it contaminated with the soy sauce from the outer coat.  It had an umami type flavor that surrounded the rice, making it very delectable.  And when you reach the center you're greeted with the filling.  The salmon filling was good and a little buttery.  My heart however belongs to seaweed rice balls whether they be fresh and cold from the supermarket or toasty and warm at an izakaya.  Warning though, do not eat the seasoned seaweed by itself or your taste buds will be alarmed with intense saltiness.  Between the seaweed, the flavorful rice, and the outer soy sauce crispy later, and even the topping of dried anchovies and roe.  This simple dish that I have underestimated for months has given me the run for my money. [5/5]

Braised Pork Claypot Rice
[$13.50 for Medium Size]


I wanted to try Dan's claypot yet I also wanted to try how they prepared their pork so lo and behold I killed two birds with one stone.  The pork was soft, though a little dry on the outside.  This dish was still hearty though, can't go wrong with meat and carbs.  [3.5/5]

About a month later I came back to Dan with Mama and Papa Kitty and Ducky to try its other dishes but did not have a chance to take pictures so I'll just give a quick rundown of the new things tried and ratings:
  • Grilled mackerel [$6] - Tasty, a bit on the oily side but I think that is naturally from the fish [3.5/5]
  • Grilled miso salmon [$7.75] - Did not taste much miso, but I was still served a tasty piece of salmon [3.5/5]
  • Clam Ramen [$10.50] - It's served with little neck clams (you get a decent amount about 6 or so), and overall comes in good portion.  The broth is not like your usual miso, shio, or tonkotsu flavor, but more of an Asian/Western fusion.  I detected a complementary buttery flavor in the broth, and I suspect they used alcohol which really gave this ramen a refined and unique taste.  It is definitely a must try.  My description does not give it justice.  It's not Orenchi or Santouka ramen, but it is good bowl that'll warm your heart with a flavor I haven't found anywhere else. [5/5]
  • Unagi Rice [$22.50 for Large] - The unagi was very well prepared however the steep price that came with it quickly made my eyebrows furrow.  Even though it was large, it was not much larger from the medium sized claypot I mentioned above. For a whopping $22, it was injustice especially since it was not particularly mind blowing. [2/5]  
Service: Make reservations on weekends otherwise you'll face with about an hour of waiting.  Service here is really slow since they are understaffed in the waitress department.  Your food will come out a decent pace though.

Overall I enjoy this place and am not deterred at all by its slow service.  It's a decent place to go for Japanese food that isn't filled with just the usual "bento box items". I would definitely come back 

1 comment:

  1. Went to Dan Izakaya in Oct 2012; I try to avoid having high expectations as taste and color are so personal, but I came with such given the reviews above (and found on Yelp). I wasn't disappointed! The various dishes and flavors reminded me of dishes I had in Japan, especially the yakitori skewers that were 'identical' to those I had in Osaka and Nagoya. If I lived closer, I'd be a regular as I enjoy simple and home-style Japanese dishes. The experience was made more enjoyable by the presence of Kitty and Ducky accompanying my cute cute life partner and me.

    ReplyDelete