Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chile Pies

Ducky Solo
Chile Pies
314 Church Street
San Francisco, CA 94114

(415)431-9411
Chile Pies @ Castro SF

Carne Asada Pot Pie with Green Chile and Salad
[$8]

The carne asada pie was pretty decent.  Very flavorful meat and potatoes with a nice savory sauce.  A very wholesome pot pie taste and feel.  Eating the pie and subsequently paying for it made me want to try and make my own pies and tarts.  The pie's filling and crust were up to expectations except for one thing.  I don't know if it was supposed to be this way, but the pie was a bit blackened/burnt when it was served to us.  I don't know if it was the girl who was manning the store that day's handy work or if all their pies are this darkened (see picture).  I will be taking some points off for being over crisped.  Also, the pot pie was about the size of those frozen $1 Banquet pies you can buy at the super market, but at 8x the cost.  Not sure if it is 8x the deliciousness. [3/5]

Mexican Chocolate and Pecan Pie with Whipped Cream
[$5.5]

I was hoping for a sweet pie with some crunchy nutty bits to balance.  The pie had a very nice chocolate taste and there were plenty of pecans.  The sweetness might be a bit too much for some people.  Kitty did think it was a bit too sweet.  Maybe I just like chocolate, but I thought it was just sweet enough.  I was expecting a different kind of flavor, but I can't quite explain what that is.  It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it was satisfactory. [3/5]

Overall Score: [3/5] I love pies and all, but I can't help but feel like it is a bit pricey for what it is.  It did inspire me to try to make my own pies in the near future.  At least just a small pot pie.  I would come here again, but not for a long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment