Saturday, June 27, 2015

Kitty Solo in Japan 2015 Day 6 and 7

Breakfast is an important meal like any other. When you're in a rush, your local bakery will be the saving powers that be. Mine was Shinshido Boulangerie. They have a number of branches around Kyoto. The one I went to was around the Sanjo  Kawaramachi area.

Shinshido Boulangerie
Rows of Freshly Baked Goodies
Like many if not all bakeries in Asia you will find a myriad of different breads sweet or savory to choose from. So cheap and so good.

Melon Pan, Edamame Chicken Salad Pan,
Seaweed Chips, Green Tea
This time I decided to try to the bakery's melon bread (a very classic choice) and bread with edamame and chicken salad inside. I also picked up seaweed chips ...they were really good. Certainly can't find this flavor in the States. Sad days.

Edamame Chicken Salad-pan
This was great! I imagine you would have to eat this the day of but it packed a lot of flavors and I felt pretty healthy eating it. I recommend this while supplies last. Or try making this at home.....huehuehue.

Tonjiru and Cold Tofu
Clearly I ate too much for breakfast so I was left with a rather low appetite for lunch. I grabbed some cold tofu and Japanese pork soup. Everyone knows about miso soup but not as many people know about tonjiru. It's a hardy pork based soup with vegetables. Having this on a rainy day really brings comfort to the body.

Campus Chicken Kara Age
We had a exchange student party later that evening with the university students. I didn't want to spoil my appetite so I just got myself some fried chicken. It was amazingly greasy fatty and delicious. I think my arteries didn't feel the same way though. I think my arteries are stone walling me. Not a healthy relationship.

Lemon Muffins, Cheese and Herb Pan,
Orange Almond Scone, Sicilia Lemon Pocky
Next morning's breakfast consisted another run to Shinshido. Lemon muffins were a tad dry but the lemon flavor was prominent and refreshing. Orange almond scones we're all right and can never go wrong with cheese and herbs. True star today was the Sicilia lemon pocky. This flavor reminded me of the lemon flavored girl scout cookies. Too good!!

Traditional Bento
Our class went on a field trip and lunch was provided. I knew it was going to be a bento lunch but I had no idea it would be a fancy bento lunch. The bus took us to a relatively remote resort where this precious baby waited for us.

On the top left was okra, edamame, fish cake, chicken patty with vegetables, sweetened plum, grilled fish, and dashi rolled egg.

On the top right was salmon and squid sashimi.

On the bottom left was pumpkin, seaweed, mountain potato and another fish cake in a sweet sauce.

On the botton right was shrimp, perilla leaf, and potato tempura.

Konbu Soup
There was a side of pickled vegetables along with dipping soy sauces. The soup provided was seaweed based and had it's own variety of fish ball. The lunch was a amazingly exquisite and delicately prepared. When I studied abroad I never got to eat anything like this....such lucky students!!

After a long day of field trips my friend and I wandered our way to Sanjo Kawaramachi area where our tired feet told us, "We are going to eat at the Lipton Cafe." (They did sell Lipton tea)

Peppers and Conger Basil Pasta
It primarily served Japanese interpretation of Western foods. I ordered their monthly special which included peppers that were like a cross between shishito and bellpeppers. The pasta had a light olive oil sauce. It hit the spot after such a long day of walking.

Strawberry Shortcake
Lastly to finish off the evening, dessert was a must! Fortunately Lipton Cafe had a decent selection already so we didn't have to walk any further. On the menu this was called "Strawberry Premium Dome". It certainly tasted premium. Their strawberries were sweet and juicy, sponge cake very light and moist, and I love whipped cream so....rather it should have been called "Strawberry Triple Threat Dome."

No comments:

Post a Comment