Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ducky Solo in Maryland - 10/26/2013

Washington DC has a small little fish market area right by the water.  Philip's seafood restaurant and buffet is there and Captain White Seafood City restaurant is also there.  I decided to pay this little area a visit and to get some crab cakes by the bay and maybe some oysters.

1100 Maine Ave SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202) 484-2722






The little arena/courtyard in the middle of the fish shops

Jimmy's Grill

$4 for 3 Oysters from another market stall

$6 Crab Cake 1

$6 Crab Cake 2
Tasty crab cakes and oysters.  I generally not an oyster fan, but seeing as there were so many stalls and since I was there anyways, I decided get a plate of 3.  With a little bit of spice and lemon juice, they actually were quite tasty.  Once I got pass the sliminess of the oyster, the meat was almost sweet and savory.  The crab cakes were good, but a bit salty for my taste.  Also, I prefer my crab cakes not deep fried as I want to taste the crab meat in its entirety.  If you like deep fried balls of crab meat salad, this would be great for you. The outside is crispy and the inside is steamy and delicious.  They also give packets of ketchup and tartar sauce if necessary.  I don't remember which stall the oysters were from but they were right in the middle between Captain White and Jimmy's Grill.


$5 Cheesesteak
Kind of weird to get a cheese steak at a fish market, but it was delicious nonetheless.  There was a good amount of meat and cheesy sauce in the middle as well as some veggies for a nice crunch.  It was a hefty size too for $5 to fill me up after the small seafood "appetizers".  The crab cakes and the cheesesteak were both from Jimmy's Grill.  They also have deep fried combo platters with other things like deep fried cod.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jimmys-grill-washington
1100 Maine Ave SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202) 484-6008

Jimmy's Grill -  Crab Cake and Cheesesteak - Ducky 3.5/5

After another long day of looking at paintings and fancy stuff like that...
Dinner time at the iconic Old Ebbitt Grill, which is within a block of the White House.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-ebbitt-grill-washington
675 15th St NW
(between N G St & N F St)
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 347-4800

Bread and butter

$10 for 6 Jonah Crab Claws

$18 Crab Cake in a tarragon aioli, Grilled Sweet Potato,
and Green beans
 After a long day of looking at exhibits, I made my way over to the iconic Old Ebbitt Grill.  They have a happy hour every day from 3pm to 6pm where oysters are half off and some of the other cold platter seafood items are reduced price.  I didn't feel like going for anymore oysters, so opted for the Jonah Crab claws from Maine.  The bread and butter were just standard fare, not too special.  The crab claws were quite delicious and there was a nice tartar sauce to go with it and the oyster crackers.  Was it worth the $10, not in my book, but it was tasty nonetheless.  The star of the meal was the crab cake.  Now this was crab cake round 2 for me of the day.  This was prepared exactly like how I like it.  A crab cake that is 90 to 95% pure crab meat that is nicely seared on the sides to keep it together.  The fried parts were nicely crisp to give form and a nice crisp to mass of delicious crab meat.  The sweet potato was grilled and caramelized giving it a very sweet and gummy outside, but soft and cream inside.  The green beans were lightly seasoned as well. Overall, good restaurant to eat at, but it is quite pricey with my two items coming out to be about $35 post tax and tip.  It is not really a dressy restaurant and their menu options are varied from seafood to pasta to raw oysters.  Worth going to at least once, but probably not more than once.  I'm beginning to understand that DC is not much of a foodie and good eats kind of area.  Everywhere I look I just see high price tags for mediocre food...

Old Ebbitt Grill - Ducky  3.5/5  


http://www.yelp.com/biz/frozenyo-washington-2
1006 F St NW
(between N 11th St & N 10th St)
Washington, DC 20004
(202) 347-1414

A trip to DC would not be complete without my frozen dessert run.  Tonight I decided to go for froyo instead of gelato.  I found this hip self serve froyo place that is just plain awesome.  The number 1 that sets it apart from other self serve froyo places it is the sampling.  Unlike other places, they do NOT have little cups for you to sample the flavors from.  instead, they just ask you to try some from each in the big cup and toss out the extra and get the flavor you want.  Well, if you are like me, and do not like wasting food... The last part is not an option :)... So I basically "sampled" half a cups worth of various froyos before settling on the mango one.  I could have gotten a mix, but the mango was just that good.  I didn't want to add unnecessary topping weight which would drive up the cost.  

$0.49/ ounce
I ended up with $6, so you do the math. That was a lot of delicious froyo.  I like the pun in their name also fro ZEN yo.  I'm taking away 0.5 because their machines are really sensitive.  One little lever pull and like half your cup will be full.  Crazy fast.  EXPLODES OUT LIKE some video I will not mention.  Also, depending on the popularity of the flavor, some of the froyo might be a bit watery, but if you toss out that part the internal parts may be less watery.

Frozenyo - Ducky - 4.5/5
Fro-zen-yo Mango Froyo


No comments:

Post a Comment