Saturday, September 28, 2013

Ducky Solo in Maryland - 09/28/2013

The day just started out as just a simple ramen lunch run...

Sakuramen

Tonkotsu Red ($16)
Sakuramen (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sakuramen-washington) This is one of two ramen places that have 4 or higher rating on Yelp in Washington, DC.  Toki Underground (http://www.yelp.com/biz/toki-underground-washington#query:ramen) is the other one, but they do not open for lunch.  I felt like tonkotsu ramen, so I ordered the tonkotsu red.  They asked me for spiciness I said 3 or 4/ 10.  I assumed it would only be a very mild burn.  Since this was Japanese, I assumed it would be very mild.  Boy.  Was.  I. Wrong...  The ramen came and I saw all this red chili oil floating on top.  I took one sip of the soup and almost coughed.  The chili oil was so strong and almost overpowering the tonkotsu soup.  I could barely taste the porkiness of the tonkotsu.  If I were to come back, I will see if I can get it without the chili oil.  I am not much of a spicy eater, so the chili oil pretty much ruined the noodle soup experience.  When I eat noodle soups, I want to be able to drink some of the soup with my noodles.  The chili oil was so irritating that every sip made me want to cough and hack.  The ramen came with some chashu, wood ear fungus, green onions, and a sheet of nori. The noodles were of normal firmness as expected of ramens and the chashu was nice and soft.  Of what little of the soup I could taste, it was okay.  I'm mot much of a spicy eater, but if you are it might just be perfect.  I am not, so... Ducky -3/5

Ducky's Monster Falafel ($7.21)

It started off as a simple day to get lunch.  I then saw signs and realized that there is a Smithsonian Zoo nearby.  I spent the whole day at the zoo and decided to grab lunch near the station before I headed back to the apartment.  Kitty doesn't usually go for Mediterranean, so I took this opportunity to go to this highly rated falalfel shop.  Once I went in, I knew I was in for a treat.  They have a salad bar area next to the cash register for the self serve toppings for the falafel.  Basically, you order either a small or a regular falafel and then you move to the toppings bar and pack whatever you want on it.  I went crazy and packed a little bit of everything.  I love yogurt sauces, so of course I drenched the top with a nice layer of yogurt sauce.  This definitely made up for my lunch.  The falafel balls were perfectly deep fried and flavored.  They had a nice crunchy outside and a crumbly savory inside.  The toppings were very fresh and flavorful.  Definitely a must.  Ducky -4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment